September 2015

September 2015
Blog for Ben, Trisha, Chelsea, Tyler & Mina!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Milk Allergy?? As an adult?

Within a few months of Chelsea's birth I started getting really sick to my stomach.  I will spare you the exact details but it wasn't fun.  I was in so much pain..  there was once a time when as soon as I parked my car at Mama G's before a volleyball match I had to open my door and thow up all over the parking lot.. I had searing pain around my stomach and lower back and could barely drive myself home and crawl into my bed.

 Long story short, it took many doctor's appointments (simple blood work to a full CT Scan) and there was no diagnosis.  the doctors just wanted to medicate the symptoms (and that wasn't even working).  After extensive research on my own I asked for a referral to an allergist.  I thought it would be Celiac Disease or a Wheat allergy.  To my surprise, I am allergic to milk! 

I do have to say, taking milk and all milk products out of one's diet is very difficult.  Recipes had to be thrown or reworked, favorite products had to be replaced (my favorite wheat breads and Italian salad dressings) and emotionally it was very difficult to take away a lot of my favorite foods and adjust my attitude about eating.  Going out to eat is very difficult as well.  At first I didn't even want to try.  I would constantly be worried if a salad dressing, the bread, batters and so on included milk ingredients.  Are the vegetables sauteed in butter or oil? Who knew so many foods contain milk ingredients?!   With time, this is getting a little easier.  I will go online and look at menu's and some places even list out the main allergens in the food.

I won't hop onto my soap box here, because this blog will be long enough already, but with all my research I am not a fan of milk products in general.  Allergic or not.  Maybe someday I will write a blog about all the reasons I think milk is bad ;)

The main reason I wanted to write this blog is NOT because I wanted a pity party.  It is because milk allergies are not very common in adults and because of that, most people don't understand what it actually means.  So many people are lactose intolerant or throw the words "food intolerance" around that I feel as if it's desensitized. (I am NOT discrediting any of you who have true food intolerances... I sympathize completely!)  I've had so many people question me about what it actually means to be allergic and if there is any way of me eating milk without complications.  My milk allergy can not be treated with a lactose pill.    Below I have cut and pasted one of the many descriptions I found online comparing a milk allergy and lactose intolerance.  Knock yourselves out :-)

COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE INTERNET

Milk allergies and lactose intolerance are not the same thing. A milk allergy is caused by a malfunctioning immune system. The immune system identifies milk proteins as harmful "invaders" and releases antibodies called immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies into your bloodstream. These antibodies then release histamine, which causes milk allergy symptoms [source: Mayo Clinic]. Lactose intolerance, on the other hand, is caused by your stomach's inability to properly digest lactose, which is sugar found in milk. Your small intestine doesn't produce enough of the enzyme lactase. This enzyme is essential for the proper digestion of milk and the absorption of milk nutrients. This difficulty with digestion results in lactose intolerance symptoms [source: PubMed Health].
The symptoms of milk allergies and lactose intolerance are somewhat similar. The symptoms of a milk allergy include a variety of systems including skin irritation and hives, wheezing, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache, runny nose, and watery eyes [source: Mayo Clinic]. Symptoms of lactose intolerance are primarily gastrointestinal-related, including bloating, stomach aches, diarrhea, gas and nausea [source: PubMed Health].

People with a milk allergy need to eliminate milk and milk products entirely from their diets. Some people, however, who only have an allergy to one milk protein called whey, may be able to eat hard cheeses [source: Mayo Clinic]. People with lactose intolerance, on the other hand, may be able to tolerate milk and milk products to some extent. Most people with lactose intolerance can drink about half a glass of milk a day without suffering from a reaction. Moreover, people with lactose intolerance can typically eat a variety of milk products, including buttermilk, cheeses, fermented milk products (such as yogurt), ice cream, and lactose-free milk. People with lactose intolerance can also take lactase enzyme pills prior to consuming milk to avoid symptoms [source: PubMed Health].

No comments:

Post a Comment