September 2015

September 2015
Blog for Ben, Trisha, Chelsea, Tyler & Mina!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Rotisserie Style Crockpot Chicken AND a SUPER CUTE video of Chelsea!!

I tried out two new crock pot recipes on Sunday for dinner.  THEY WERE SO GOOD!!!  I've always wanted to try cooking a whole chicken in the oven ... isn't every 'domestic goddess' supposed to be able to?! ;)  Stumbling upon this recipe gave me the kick in the butt that I needed to attempt cooking a whole chicken.  I LOVE, and I mean LOVE, Rotisserie chicken.  I can't walk by the warmers displaying the chickens in the grocery store without picking one up.  It's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

SO - I will post pictures of my meal and the recipe below. If you like chicken this is a must try!  I was pleasantly surprised by the price of buying a whole chicken and how much meat you get from it.  It's a very inexpensive meal and what could be easier than a crock pot?  I served crock pot sweet potatoes along side the chicken.  The leftovers were perfect for a dinner of white chicken chili tonight and I will post that pic and recipe as well.  The white chicken chili is one of my 'go to' recipes and is amazingly (in my opinion!) good.

BUT FIRST.. here is a super cute (I think one of my favorites to date!) video of Chelsea.  We just finished up eating dinner on Sunday and she is in a super playful mood.  Maybe it was because the chicken was so good :-)

Video
 
 
Seasonings for the Chicken



The chicken breast side down in the crock pot.  I didn't think you needed to see the pictures of the raw chicken minus the skin and spices... not the most attractive picture


Spices for the sweet potatoes


Rub the sweet potatoes with the spices (chili powder, kosher salt, cumin) and wrap up in foil.  DO NOT add water to the crock pot.  Cook on high for 6 hours.


Dinner will be ready in 7-8 hours!


YUM!  The chicken was literally falling off the bone in the crock pot.  It was so tender and flavorful.


Finished sweet potatoes


Chelsea is ready to eat!


YUM!

A picture of dinner tonight... the crock pot chicken leftovers used in a white chicken chili


Here are the recipes



 
Rotisserie – Style Chicken (crock pot)

1 (5-6 pound) whole chicken. (I think i used a 7 pound chicken and it still cooked within 7-8 hours)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 whole garlic cloves
1 yellow onion, quartered

Use a 6 quart slow cooker. Skin the chicken and get rid of the bag of 'stuff' in the cavity. I did skin the chicken and it took about fifteen minutes. It's well worth the time it takes.

In a bowl, combine the salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, Italian seasoning and cayenne and black pepper. Rub the mixture all over the bird, inside and out. If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and quartered onion inside the bird. Tie the legs together with a piece of twine or string. Plop the chicken breast-side down into the slow cooker. Do NOT add water.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours. (I cooked mine on low for 7 hours and it was literally falling off the bones in the crock pot). the longer you cook it the more tender the meat will be.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment